NT Govt to invest heavily in water

The Northern Territory 2023 Budget is based on investing in our future and delivering for all Territorians. With that in mind, the NT 2023 Budget focuses on securing water supply for the next 50 years.

The Northern Territory 2023 Budget is based on investing in our future and delivering for all Territorians. With that in mind, the NT 2023 Budget focuses on securing water supply for the next 50 years.

The below statement is from the Northern Territory Government.

Water, it’s one of our most precious resources.

Budget 2023 invests in our history’s largest major water infrastructure project, securing water supply and enabling significant economic growth.

Over three years, an additional $3.95 million will be invested to progress the Adelaide River Off-stream Water Storage project (AROWS). It will bring the total investment for the project to $21 million since inception.

AROWS will be a crucial enabler to industrial and agricultural growth across the Territory and create long-term water security.

To mark the budget announcement, the Territory Labor Government has today awarded a $2.4 million tender to GHD Pty Ltd to undertake the scientific, stakeholder and regulatory processes required to deliver the project’s Environmental Impact Statement.

Following the completion of the Detailed Business Case, the planning and approval phase is also now underway to ensure the project meets community expectations and rigorous regulatory approvals.

Future steps in the project will include land use agreement negotiations, construction, and development.

The AROWS project will complement the Manton Dam return to a service project, and together they will support 1000 direct and indirect jobs during the peak construction.

Quotes attributed to Chief Minister Natasha Fyles:

“Securing a safer, more reliable and sustainable water supply for Darwin is essential for the region’s future growth and economic prosperity.

“Currently, in the greater Darwin region, around 85 per cent of our water supply comes from the Darwin River Dam. The remaining 15 per cent is provided through groundwater. As our current water supply is operating at capacity, AROWS is vital to the great Territory lifestyle and driving growth across the Greater Darwin region.

“Developing sustainable solutions that protect our environment and maintain our great Territory lifestyle is important.”

Quotes attributed to Treasurer and Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics, Eva Lawler:

“Budget 2023 invests in our future and delivers for all Territorians.

“The Territory Labor Government is delivering on these significant projects ensuring safe drinking water for all Territorians now and into the future.

“Along with creating 1000 jobs during construction, they will enable economic growth through sustainable agriculture and industry expansion.

“The AROWS project is essential to achieving our goal of a $40 billion economy by 2030. Every Territorian will benefit from a strong economy.”

Related Articles:

Send this to a friend