Diversity and inclusion (D&I) are essential for thriving in the water and wastewater industry. By embracing diverse perspectives and experiences, we can better serve our communities and develop innovative solutions to our challenges.
D&I remains a challenge for the water and wastewater industry despite its importance. According to a recent study by the Water Environment Federation, women make up only 28 per cent of the workforce, and people of colour make up just 21 per cent. This lack of diversity can lead to blind spots and missed opportunities, making recruiting and retaining top talent challenging.
A growing number of water and wastewater companies are recognising the importance of D&I and taking steps to create more inclusive workplaces. These companies are implementing a variety of initiatives, such as:
- Recruiting and hiring practices focusing on diversity: Companies use various strategies to reach a more diverse pool of candidates, such as partnering with minority-serving institutions and diversity recruiting firms. They also work to remove unconscious bias from the hiring process by using blind resumes and conducting structured interviews.
- Creating employee resource groups (ERGs): ERGs are employee-led groups that provide support and networking opportunities for employees from underrepresented groups. ERGs can be a valuable tool for promoting D&I in the workplace.
- Offering diversity and inclusion training: This training can help employees understand the importance of D&I and how to create a more inclusive workplace.
Are you interested in promoting your work in diversity and inclusion?
If your company is committed to diversity and inclusion, we encourage you to advertise in our magazine. Our readership is made up of decision-makers in the water and wastewater industry, and we offer a variety of advertising options to help you reach your target audience.
By advertising in our magazine, you can help raise awareness of your company’s commitment to D&I and encourage other companies in the industry to follow suit. You can also use your advertising to promote your products and services to a diverse audience of potential customers.
Together, we can create a more diverse and inclusive water and wastewater industry.
What can we offer?
The January/February 2024 issue of Inside Water will contain the following unique features: Stormwater, Young Professionals, Corrosion Relief and Treatment, Leak Detection Systems, Industry Insight and Water Associations. More is to come as the edition comes together.
What does Inside Water offer?
A full-page marketing package includes.
- Full-page advertisement (ad material to be supplied)
- Editorial Feature to be written for you by the editor of Inside Water
- Editorial Feature to appear in Inside Water’s e-newsletter, website, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook
Expressions of interest close on 12 December 2023. For more information, please contact:
Brand Manager, Inside Water
- Barwon Water appoints new Managing Director
- An innovative approach to diversity
- Greater Western Water leading in diversity